Vermicelli Upma is a simple, healthy and nutritious breakfast recipe. This recipe is full of bright vegetables which makes it a feast for the eyes. I also add chana daal and urad daal so in this way adding up more nutrition in the form of protein.
It is easy on the stomach, high in fiber and nutrition and low in calories. My kids love to eat vermicelli and I call it mini Maggie in front of them. Keeping them in Lunch box is a good choice as they fulfill both vegetable and grain choice. Today I packed Vermicelli Upma, apple cubes, yogurt, and tomato chutney. Here is the recipe for vermicelli Upma.
Roasted Vermicelli- 2 cups
Chopped onions-1 cup
chopped capsicum-1/2 cup
chopped mix veggies-1cup
Chopped ginger-1 inch
hing-a pinch of
chopped green chillis-2
chana daal- 1tbsp
Salt to taste
- Put oil in a Non stick kadai or pan. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and let them crackle.
- Add Hing, chana daal and urad daal and fry them for atleast 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add onions and sauté till their colour changes a little bit. Now add curry leaves and green chillies.
- Now add potatoes and sauté for another 5 minutes
- Then add all the rest veggies, and sauté for another 5 minutes
- Now add 4 cups of water and salt and boil the mixture .
- Now add Vermicilli and stir it. Cover the pan with lid for 5 minutes on low flame till the vermicelli is cooked. Open the lid and stir again and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Finally transfer the vermicelli into a serving plate and garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with chutney or as it is.
- Enjoy this very delicious recipe with your family.